Putin spokesperson claims Bucha atrocities were staged
The Ukrainian president’s comments came after Western nations condemned the killing of civilians in the town of Bucha as war crimes. More than 300 bodies have been found so far in the Kyiv suburb and the death toll likely to rise further, according to its mayor.
Anatoly Fedoruk, the mayor of Bucha, said most of the victims had been shot and some of them were discovered with their hands behind their backs. Corpses had been “dumped like firewood” into three mass graves, he added.
In response to the atrocities, the US and the EU have introduced new sanctions against Moscow, with Washington targeting Russian military shipbuilding and Vladimir Putin’s family, while Brussels banned coal imports from Russia.
Russian forces fully withdrawn from northern Ukraine, reports British military intelligence
The Kremlin has fully withdrawn its forces from northern Ukraine, according to the latest British military intelligence report.
The British Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the soldiers are now in Belarus and Russia. Many of them will be redirected to the battlefields of eastern Ukraine, it added.
As they are in need of “significant replenishment”, the redeployment will take at least a week, the MoD said.
Rory Sullivan8 April 2022 07:58
Ukraine presses on with evacuation efforts
Ukraine aims to establish as many as 10 humanitarian corridors on Friday, the day after 4,676 civilians were evacuated from Ukrainian towns and cities.
Deputy prime minister Iryna Vereshchuk said the evacuation routes were all in southern and eastern Ukraine.
Trapped citizens in Mariupol will need private vehicles to escape the besieged city, after buses were unable to reach it. More than 5,000 civilians have been killed there during the six-week siege, according to the mayor.
Rory Sullivan8 April 2022 07:47
Three mass graves discovered in Bucha, says mayor
Three mass graves have been found in the Kyiv suburb of Bucha following its recapture from Russian forces, its mayor has said.
Anatoly Fedoruk said 320 bodies had been recovered as of Wednesday, adding that the death toll will likely rise in the coming days.
Most victims had been shot, he said, with bodies “dumped like firewood” into communal graves.
This comes as Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky said the situation in the nearby town of Borodyanka was “significantly more dreadful” than Bucha.
Rory Sullivan8 April 2022 07:40
Russia admits ‘significant losses’ in Ukraine
As we mentioned in an earlier post, Russia has admitted to suffering “significant losses” in Ukraine.
Without specifying the number of dead Russian troops, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitri Peskov said the losses were a “huge tragedy for us”.
Since the war began on 24 February, Moscow has only given several death toll updates. Its latest said that 1,351 Russian soldiers had been killed in action.
However, the Ukrainian army believes the true figure could be as high as 18,900.
Rory Sullivan8 April 2022 07:22
EU mulls 500 million euros for arming Ukraine
European Council president Charles Michel has suggested a proposal to release an additional 500 million euros to provide arms for Ukraine, reported The Kyiv Independent.
Additionally, Canada administration on Thursday announced it will offer Ukraine up to $1 billion in new loan resources via the International Monetary Fund and provide an additional $500 million in military aid.
Arpan Rai8 April 2022 07:00
Ukraine identifies 163 killed in Bucha
A total of 163 bodies of people killed by Russian soldiers in Bucha have been identified, mayor of the Ukrainian city Anatoliy Fedoruk said.
Officials had said they have collected 320 bodies of slain Ukrainians after Russian troops left Bucha but not before allegedly carrying out killings.
The mayor added that the number of bodies found each day in the city continues to grow, reported The Kyiv Independent.
Arpan Rai8 April 2022 06:53
Ex-war crimes investigators on Ukraine war crimes: ‘A dead body talks if you ask the right questions’
A dead body can talk if you ask the correct questions of it, Ron Turnbull likes to say.
“These people were treated inhumanely and they’re never going to have a voice,” he tells The Independent. “Our job was to give them that voice, and be able to determine how they were killed,” says the former Metropolitan Police officer.
Turnbull says it is “nonsensical” to believe that the kind of killings the world has witnessed carried out in Bucha would have been perpetrated by Ukrainians on their own people.
From what he has seen of the incidents, does he believe they amount to war crimes?
“Without a doubt,” he says. “Without a doubt.”
Andrew Buncombe, chief US correspondent, reports on this here:
Arpan Rai8 April 2022 06:37
Russia admits it has suffered ‘significant losses’ after invading Ukraine
Six weeks into launching a war, Russia has admitted it has suffered a “significant loss” of troops and that its offensive on the neighbouring country has not progressed as desired by the Kremlin.
“We have significant losses of troops. It’s a huge tragedy for us,” Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told Sky News on Thursday amid a steady pushback from Ukraine.
Although Moscow has refrained from giving out an exact number, Ukrainian authorities have claimed at least 18,900 Russian soldiers have been killed in combat as of Thursday, since the onset of the invasion on 24 February.
Arpan Rai8 April 2022 06:09
Ukrainian leaders predict more gruesome discoveries ahead
More gruesome discoveries are likely in the days ahead as Russian troops are withdrawing from parts of Ukraine, country’s leaders have predicted.
Several streets and towns in the war-torn country are now a site for crushed buildings, destroyed cars covered in grey smoke and soot and rising civilian casualties.
Despite a Russian pullback, Ukrainian foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba said that the country still remains vulnerable.
Grim visuals showed dozens lined up to receive bread, diapers and essential medicines from vans outside destroyed schools which has now been converted into an aid-distribution point.
Arpan Rai8 April 2022 05:59
Russian troops withdrawn from Ukraine’s north and into Belarus, claims UK
The British defence ministry in its latest intelligence update said that Russian forces have withdrawn from north and retreated to Belarus and Russia.
The offensive, however, is likely to continue in the east and south parts of the besieged country.
“In the north, Russian forces have now fully withdrawn from Ukraine to Belarus and Russia. At least some of these forces will be transferred to East Ukraine to fight in the Donbas,” the defence ministry said.
It added: “Many of these forces will require significant replenishment before being ready to deploy further east, with any mass redeployment from the north likely to take at least a week minimum.”
“Russian shelling of cities in the east and south continues and Russian forces have advanced further south from the strategically important city of Izium which remains under their control,” the latest intelligence update read.
Arpan Rai8 April 2022 05:37