Happy Saturday, people of Portsmouth! Tony Schinella here. Here’s everything you need to know about what’s happening in town today.
First, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny and cold. High: 22 Low: 16.
Find out what’s happening in Portsmouth with free, real-time updates from Patch.
Here are the top stories today in Portsmouth:
- New Hampshire restaurants struggle with rising costs, supply chain problems (WMUR Manchester)
- Portsmouth Housing Market: Sale Prices By ZIP Code (Portsmouth Patch)
- Michael Francis Clifford Obituary (Seacoastonline.com)
- Fiscal committee backs partnership with a for-profit hospital on Epping mental health facility (New Hampshire Public Radio)
- Rhonda Jean Weeks Guzinski Obituary (Seacoastonline.com)
- Norman R. (Norm) Moulton Obituary (Seacoastonline.com)
- Here’s the Legend of Portsmouth’s Point of Graves Burial Ground (wokq.com)
- Position Imaging Launches Reseller And Referral Partner Programs For Smart Package Room (DC Velocity)
- Look to the sky: Decorative and historic weathervanes on the Seacoast (Seacoastonline.com)
- Business Talk – News: Portsmouth News and Information (Portsmouth) (AboutMyArea)
- PFAS Exposure™, the First At-Home Blood Test to Detect and Measure 40+ PFAS Compounds, Now Available Nati (Benzinga)
- Names to Know: Kaley Gagne named new Kennebunk Savings branch manager for Portsmouth, Hampton (Seacoastonline.com)
- Jimmy’s Jazz & Blues Club Features 15x-Blues Music Award-Winner & 4x-GRAMMY® Award-Winning Blues Vocalist SHEMEKIA COPELAND on Thursday February 3 at 7 & 9:30 P.M. (WFMZ Allentown)
- Chamber Collaborative Of Greater Portsmouth: Auburn Zaudke Joins St. Mary’s Bank As Business Development And Retail Sales Manager (Press Release Desk)
- Bagley: Portsmouth firefighters go above and beyond the call of duty every day (Seacoastonline.com)
- ‘Significant interest’: Pease airport cargo facility plan moves forward (Seacoastonline.com)
- Ironclad defense carries unbeaten Trinity past Portsmouth, 44-36 (Manchester Ink Link)
- ‘She’s my mom’s guardian angel’: Daughter finds Good Samaritan who saved life in Dover (Foster’s Daily Democrat)
- Portsmouth Area Events: See What’s Coming Up This Weekend (Portsmouth Patch)
- New Hampshire Candidates Sought for New England Fishery Management Council (NH Fish and Game Department)
- Portsmouth Weekend Weather Forecast (Portsmouth Patch)
- Portsmouth: See 5 Local Properties For Sale (Portsmouth Patch)
- State Wants To Help Fund New Behavioral Health Hospital (InDepth NH)
Today in Portsmouth:
Find out what’s happening in Portsmouth with free, real-time updates from Patch.
- Multi-Family Indoor Yard Sale (8:30 AM)
From my notebook:
- Prescott Park Arts Festival: “We are remembering Coretta Scott King today in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, which became a national holiday after she advocated for over 15 years to make it a reality. Did you know that Coretta was also a celebrated soprano and v…” (Facebook)
- Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouses: “Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse this morning” (Facebook)
- Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation: “Did you know that a whale’s body temperature is similar to ours (~99 degrees F)? Recently, several whale species have been seen in Cape Cod Bay, and the temperature there is around 40 degrees F! How do the warm-blooded mammals stay warm?…” (Facebook)
- Portsmouth Professional Firefighters Local 1313: “Thank you to Andrew Bagley, Portsmouth City Council for the kind words! We appreciate you taking the time to come in and see what we do first hand!” (Facebook)
- Prescott Park Arts Festival: “Happy memories from last summer are keeping us warm today! It is -10° right now in the park. You read that right… NEGATIVE 10°. ?Ron St.Jean #IsItSuymmerYet #StayWarmOutThere #MakingMemoriesTogether #ArtsMatter #SeacoastLiving #MyNewE…” (Facebook)
- Strawbery Banke Museum: “Yesterday’s “Run Through History” Half-Kilometer at Strawbery Banke was so much fun! Many thanks to all who braved the cold for a very short run through a long stretch of history. Additional thanks to: ? DJ Skooch for the groovy tunes …” (Facebook)
- Seacoast Eat Local: “The Rollinsford Winter Farmers’ Market at Wentworth Greenhouses, Inc. will be happening this Saturday, January 22nd with up to 40 vendors in attendance! There will be live music from North River Music, and two nonprofit market guests, Vo…” (Facebook)
- Strawbery Banke Museum: “Coal-burning fireplaces were all the rage in Victorian-Era New England homes. Deforestation caused by industrialization made supplies of firewood less abundant and gave rise to a healthy mining industry in states such as Pennsylvania. Sp…” (Facebook)
- Portsmouth Public Library (NH): “??Happy Saturday! Did you know it is BOTH National Hat Day AND National Bagel Day today? What better way to celebrate a winter weekend than with cozy knitwear and a homemade bagel? Check out these books for ideas… ?BAGEL BOOKS!? Co…” (Facebook)
- HAVEN NH: “Teamwork Makes the Dream Work! HAVEN is hiring a Strafford County Transitional Housing Program Case Manager. Make a lasting difference for survivors today! Learn more and apply here: https://www.nhnonprofits.org/?q=view/job-listing/235046” (Facebook)
- Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation: “Our whale evening program is in less than a week. Sign up today! Maybe our Director of Research will talk about this whale… who is it? http://www.blueoceansociety.org/programs/winter-2022-program-series/” (Facebook)
- Portsmouth Music and Arts Center: “Unlock Your Creativity! Learn to Play an Instrument! Thank You New Hampshire Union Leader for including PMAC in your special piece! We believe that Creativity Changes Lives and are grateful to be able to provide music lessons and ensembl…” (Facebook)
- The Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth: “We’re delighted to welcome Minuteman Press of Exeter to the Chamber Collaborative! We hope to see you at a Zoom or in person event soon. Learn more here: https://portsmouthchamber.org/… Questions…” (Facebook)
- Black Heritage Trail of New Hampshire: “Today we celebrate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. with a coloring activity. A great way to celebrate the life of Dr. King and everything he achieved. The Black Heritage Trail of New Hampshire has lots of hands on learning ide…” (Facebook)
- Portsmouth Public Library (NH): “Looking for a new cookbook? Black Girl Baking by Jerrelle Guy (@chocolateforbasil) is my new favorite! I made her olive oil and orange bread (photo 2) and kombucha muffins (photo 3). They were easy to make and so delicious! I also love s…” (Facebook)
- Seacoast Outright: “It’s FINALLY happening! Seacoast Outright will be resuming in-person youth meetings and holding our first in-person session TONIGHT! Friday, January 21st at 7:00 pm. ? South Church, 292 State St Portsmouth, NH 03801 ??? Middle/High…” (Facebook)
- The Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth: “Welcome, Kristin! You’ve landed in a verrrry good place! Hope to see you soon.” (Facebook)
- Seacoast Outright: “Are you learning any new hobbies? Tell us about them. The National Library of Health did a study linking reduced stress to having at least one hobby. Check out this ultimate list of 5 entertaining and useful hobbies to fill your time wit…” (Facebook)
- The Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth: “It was great getting to know you! And hellllo, BJ.?” (Facebook)
- HAVEN NH: “This Human Trafficking Awareness Month, we encourage you to learn more about it, and listen to the powerful stories of those who have survived. Thanks to World Without Exploitation for allowing us to share these stories. If you or someon…” (Facebook)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, South Islington: “Hi Neighbors! – I need advice. I have lived in my house for about 35 years. I live next door to a duplex and the owner lives on the opposite side of the duplex. She lived there when I bought my house. I received a letter this week (the s…” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Elwyn Park: “Hi Neighbors, A friends young adult daughter is looking for a 1 bedroom or studio in Portsmouth area. – Id love recommendations on any open spots or the best places to go for listings.” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Walker Bungalow and Shaw Rd: “I’m sharing this plea for help from a Portsmouth family looking for help for their son who is dealing with some terrible COVID complications. – Ben Brighton is a local real estate appraiser, which means he’s self-employed and no income c…” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Lafayette Road: “Roof – With the wind last night I went upstairs into my attic to find that a shingle was misplaced it’s a dormer attic with hurricane straps a piece of shingle came down exposing the attic to the elements. Wondering if anyone could come …” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Goodwin Park: “Did you lose your glasses near State Street? – We found them and set them on our steps. The are Tiffany’s and may be prescription.” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Elwyn Park: “Looking for a new GREAT dentist who does implants and is reasonably priced in the Portsmouth metropolis. – Thanks!!!” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, South End Pipeline: “Free Instapot – barely used – Txt me 978-312-2135” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, South End Pipeline: “2 free dog crates – Txt me 978-312-2135” (Nextdoor)
- Vanessa Palange, New Hampshire Homeland Security & Emergency Management: “Time is running out to sign up for next week’s ICS 300 class – Time is running out – registration is still open for ICS 300: Intermediate ICS for Expanding Incidents taking place in Concord January 24-26. Deadline to register is today (W…” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, South End Pipeline: “Looking for someone to do wood repair on an Adirondack guide boat, maybe a little fiberglass too. – Any ideas? Rick email@example.com” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Goodwin Park: “hey I have a bunch of clothes (women’s, size l-2xl) that I’m looking to get rid of. – I’m thinking like $5 a piece. barely worn condition. dm me or text (603) 707-8385 if you’re interested and we’ll find a time for you to look through th…” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Christian Shore: “Hi neighbors! – I’ve been part of a great group on FaceBook called the Buy Nothing project. Buy Nothing offers neighbors a way to give and receive, share, lend and express gratitude. Through BN, I have met many of you! Maybe I gave you s…” (Nextdoor)
- Joseph from Nextdoor’s Community Team, Nextdoor New Hampshire: “Join me for a virtual dance party Friday 1/21, 7 to 9 pm – Neighbors, it’s been a tough week for many of us, and if you’re like me, the isolation and cold have taken their toll. Last winter, my family and I started attending a virtual …” (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- FREE WEBINAR | “The Splendors of Venice” Presented by Dr. Rocky Ruggiero (January 25)
- Add your event
Loving the Portsmouth Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
- Send me a news tip or suggestion at firstname.lastname@example.org
That’s it for today! I’ll see you around.
— Tony Schinella
About me: Award-winning journalist and broadcaster for Patch.com in NH (off and on) since June 2011. Community coverage includes Concord, Hampton-North Hampton, Merrimack, Nashua, Portsmouth, and Salem. Reachable at email@example.com. Career highlights available on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/an…
The rules of replying:
- Be respectful. This is a space for friendly local discussions. No racist, discriminatory, vulgar or threatening language will be tolerated.
- Be transparent. Use your real name, and back up your claims.
- Keep it local and relevant. Make sure your replies stay on topic.
- Review the Patch Community Guidelines.